Ground Source Heat Pump
What are Ground Source Heat Pumps and how much can they save your business?
What is a Ground Source Heat Pump and How Does it Work?
- A Ground Source Heat Pump uses the energy stored in the ground to heat your home and provide hot water all year round.
- It is based on one simple principle, heat transfer – using a small amount of energy to transfer low-grade heat from the ground to high-grade heat, heating water to high temperatures. Essentially transferring heat from a ‘free heat source’ like the ground to a ‘heat sink’ like your home.
- Loops of piping are placed in the ground at a depth of approximately 1m, or in a bore hole up to 150m deep, where the ground is at a constant temperature of 10°c or higher. The pipes contain a liquid refrigerant which absorbs the ground’s heat and transfers it to the Ground Source Heat Pump located inside the house. This heats the water to high temperatures, either for hot water use or space heating, through a radiator or underfloor heating system.
- Even on the coldest day a Ground Source Heat Pump can harvest renewable heat energy from the ground and transfer it inside the home.
The entire process is highly efficient and can provide cheap, reliable hot water and central heating for your home for the life cycle of the pump, which is in excess of twenty years.¹
Why Install a Ground Source Heat Pump?
- Improves your heating efficiency – Virtually maintenance free and silent to run, a Ground Source Heat Pump is able to produce more energy than they consume, with every 1kW used providing up to 4kW of energy out
- Save up to 50% on your heating bills
- Earn through the government Renewable Heat Incentive
- Reduce your carbon emissions and help in the fight against climate change
Frequently Asked Questions
Ground Source Heat Pumps can reduce your annual heating and hot water bills by up to 50% against fossil fuel alternatives and often pay for themselves within the grant period set out within the 20 year period of the Renewable Heat Incentive.
However, each and every property is different so upfront cost, bill reduction and your ROI is never going to be a one answer fits all. The best way to find out how much a Ground Source Heat Pump can reduce your heating and hot water bills is to speak to us directly for a free no obligation quote.
What is the Renewable Heat Incentive?
The MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) is there to ensure the system is safely installed by professionally qualified installers and performs to the standards required by the Government.
How Long do Ground Source Heat Pumps Take to Install?
Do I Need to Coordinate Other Trades on Site?
During Ecovision’s many years of business we have found the biggest issue for customers is ensuring that everyone knows what and when their responsibility starts and ends. We have found that by offering the complete installation we ensure that we remain in control of the whole process as well as being entirely responsible for the successful completion of the installation with our in-house installers reporting directly to Ecovision.
Do Ground Source Heat Pumps Require Alot of Maintenance?
Ecovision can complete this task as part of an annual service, leaving you with absolutely no maintenance requirements.
¹Age of System Source: Energy Saving Trust. Please note that these figures may be more or less achievable depending on manufacturer.
Energy Saving Source: www.ecovisionsystems.co.uk/save-up-to-50-on-energy-bills